Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self Employment income from foreign source

I am a US resident and do freelancing work for several companies and file a Schedule C.  One such company is located in the UK and pays me in British Pounds, which I convert to US Dollars through my PayPal account.  I of course report the income from the UK company as income on my schedule C, however, do I need to report that income to the UK as well?  As mentioned, I am a US resident, never physically working in the UK.  I am not an employee of this company, I only do freelancing work for them as an independent contractor.  They do not report the money they pay me as any sort of wages.  Thanks for any advice!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Vze1zaom , UK ( and  most countries ) taxes income on residents unlike US ( which taxes world income  on citizens/ Immigrants ).  Since your work is done in the USA and you are neither a citizen/ ordinarily resident of UK, your income is taxed ONLY by the USA.  There is no reporting requirement to UK  ( contracting entity would be showing the amounts as labor  contract expenses ).  

My reference in this  US-UK tax treaty ( available at www.irs.gov, search for tax treaties) and  UK  --HM Inland Revenue web page.

Does this answer your query  ?

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@pk

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Vze1zaom , UK ( and  most countries ) taxes income on residents unlike US ( which taxes world income  on citizens/ Immigrants ).  Since your work is done in the USA and you are neither a citizen/ ordinarily resident of UK, your income is taxed ONLY by the USA.  There is no reporting requirement to UK  ( contracting entity would be showing the amounts as labor  contract expenses ).  

My reference in this  US-UK tax treaty ( available at www.irs.gov, search for tax treaties) and  UK  --HM Inland Revenue web page.

Does this answer your query  ?

Yes, thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies