Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self-Employed Work requires Chiropracter, is that deductable?

I am a self employed musician and I spend anywhere between 10 hours to 16 hours a week with a guitar over my shoulders. As I've gotten older, I have had to see a chiropracter to get my back straightened out each week or else I can sleep well, stand for long, or continue to work. This expense is related 100% to my profession and is a necessary expense in order for me to work, much like a hair dresser would need a floor mat that provides comfort as they work, or an arm brace to combat tennis elbow. Is this deductible on my schedule C? Would a massage chair or heating pad be deductible? If so, why not a Chiropractor visit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Chiropractor fees are a deductible medical expense and not a regular and customary expense for the occupation of a musician. That’s just the tax law. A heating pad and arm brace are deductible medical expenses also.  You can only deduct a total amount of medical expenses greater than 7.5 percent of your AGI and only if you itemize. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Business Expenses have to be both ordinary and necessary, meaning common and accepted, to be deducted as a business expense.

A chiropractor visit would be a personal medical expense deductible on Schedule A if you itemize.  If massage chairs and heating pads are ordinary and necessary for guitar players, then you could deduct those on Schedule C.   Those would not be medical expenses, but a doctor's visit would be.    Also, if you pay for health insurance, you may be able to deduct the premiums (Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction) without having to itemize.   

See Pub 535 for more details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies