Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joe1999

self employed medicare insurance deduction

The schedule A  medical expense worksheet lists the remaining portion of my medicare  self employed health insurance deduction that didn't off set my home business income on line 2o and my total medicare premiums on line2c. The sum of those two amounts is more than the total of my  medicare premiums (which is my total medical insurance expense) for the year. This is used on schedule A to determine if I should itemize or not. why are these two items adding up to more than my total premiums for the year?           

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

self employed medicare insurance deduction

That does seem to be a problem with TurboTax recognizing that you are claiming your Medicare payments as a self-employed health insurance deduction.  It seems that when entering your Social Security benefits you must omit from the Medicare premiums deducted from your benefits the amount that you have indicated as paid for self-employed health insurance, otherwise it gets double counted on Schedule A.  The result is then the same as if the Medicare payments were not deducted from your benefits but were instead paid out of pocket.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies