Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SELF EMPLOYED HEALTH INSURANCE PREMIUM DEDUCTION

I earn wages via W-2 employment.  My employer does not offer health insurance.   I also have a "side-gig" earning 1099-NEC, that is substantially less than the amount of my W-2 earnings.   I purchase medical and dental insurance on my own directly from an insurance provider.   I have no other business expenses to deduct from the NEC income. Can I still deduct the health insurance premiums from my self-employent income (up to the amount of my 1099-NEC earnings)?.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct your self-employed health insurance premium as long as you were not eligible to participate in an employer-sponsored health plan.  The amount you may deduct is limited to your net self-employment income.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax articles for more information and details about how to enter this deduction into your return:

Can I deduct health insurance premiums if I'm self-employed?

Where do I enter my health insurance premiums if I'm self-employed?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'll assume you are not married or if you are your spouse is not employed by an employer that offers subsidized health insurance and you were eligible to participate. If so, you can't deduction the premiums in the months you're eligible to participate in that plan. if deductible, your deduction is limited to the NET SE income reduced by 1/2 the SE tax.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies