Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

newb3509
Returning Member

Self-employed health insurance deduction for married filing jointly

My wife is self-employed with a CoveredCA Marketplace health insurance, and I'm retired with Medicare. As I have a Medicare plan, I do not use any CoveredCA insurance, but on Form 1095-A, I am registered as a Primary Contact for CoveredCA (as a primary tax filer), and my wife is listed as a covered recipient. So due to this, all the correspondences with CoveredCA are addressed to me. In reality, however, my wife pays the monthly premium for her CoveredCA plan. 

I read that, if you are self employed and pay health insurance, you can deduct 100% of the premium cost to lower AGI in 1040. I do not participate in my wife's self-employed business, but as a married joint filer, would we be eligible for this deduction without any issues?

Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should be able to claim a deduction to the extent that your wife's self-employment showed a profit without any issues.

Since your wife is self-employed, you can claim a tax deduction for the health insurance paid for her, you and your dependents.

Please see the TurboTax Help article Can I deduct health insurance premiums if I’m self-employed? for more information.

newb3509
Returning Member

Thank you John!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies