Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

t2_6235
Returning Member

Seeking Assistance with Setting Depreciation Life for Property Improvements in TurboTax Desktop

After our tax preparer retired last year, I opted to use TurboTax Desktop for this year's tax filing. However, I've encountered a problem with how TurboTax processes straight-line depreciation for improvements on our rental property. Previously, our tax preparer used a spreadsheet to calculate the depreciation values, which were then entered on the Schedule E form using a tax software other than TurboTax. This method allowed for the rental's depreciation over 27.5 years, a process easily duplicated in TurboTax. Yet, we've made property improvements over the years, traditionally deducting these over 10 and 20 years. TurboTax Desktop does not seem to allow setting the depreciation lifespan for these improvements. Notably, some improvements are six years into depreciation. Still, when added to TurboTax, it suggests they are fully depreciated, implying it may be using a five-year depreciation model or a different approach. How can I adjust the depreciation life for these improvements to 10 or 20 years in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
t2_6235
Returning Member

Seeking Assistance with Setting Depreciation Life for Property Improvements in TurboTax Desktop

While exploring TurboTax, I resolved my question regarding setting straight-line depreciation for rental property improvements. For anyone with a similar query, here's how I did it: I edited my rental property details, navigated to "Assets / Depreciation," and clicked on the "Add an Asset" button. Then, I selected "Intangibles, Other Property." This allowed me to name the asset, set the depreciation lifespan, and choose the depreciation method, in this case, Straight-Line.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies