Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KDavy2024
Returning Member

Section 179 Recapture

In 2021, I took section 179 expensed full purchase ($24k) of my business vehicle.  In 2023, I switched this vehicle from business to personal usage and bought a new vehicle for business purposes that I'm going to take section 179  (or Bonus Deprecation) for my 2023 taxes.  My question is related to 2023 TurboTax Home & Business, it isn't prompting me for Section 179 Recapture after answering questions regarding this past vehicle, does anyone know of a way within the program to get this to calculate recapture amount?  Any chance my accounting logic is wrong and recapture doesn't apply in this case due the vehicle being fully expensed in years prior? Thanks in advance!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Section 179 Recapture

@RobertB4444 wrote:

Recapture applies when you sell the vehicle.  It is just in stasis while it is a personal vehicle.  When you sell it you will need to enter in all of the depreciation so you can recapture it at that point.  So save your records.

@KDavy2024 

That is wrong.  Section 179 (and/or Listed Property) can be recaptured when the business percentage drops to 50% or less.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Section 179 Recapture

Recapture applies when you sell the vehicle.  It is just in stasis while it is a personal vehicle.  When you sell it you will need to enter in all of the depreciation so you can recapture it at that point.  So save your records.

@KDavy2024 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Section 179 Recapture

You are correct that you need to recapture the Section 179 because the vehicle was converted to personal use.  

I THINK you need to report that in the "Sale of Business Property" (even though it wasn't sold).  And you will need to manually add that recapture income amount to your business income.

Section 179 Recapture

@RobertB4444 wrote:

@KDavy2024 

That is wrong.  Section 179 (and/or Listed Property) can be recaptured when the business percentage drops to 50% or less.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies