Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Section 179 implications? Car bought in Dec 2023 and being replaced by dealer due to an issue a few days later in Jan 2024-

I bought a car Dec 2023 under a Business for business use but just a few days later in Jan 2024 discovered issues and took it back to the dealer and likely be getting  another car as a replacement, the car year and model is the same but the Vin# will change, does that affect or wipe off my Section 179 for last year 2023?

What can I do so I can maintain continuity with Section 179 and dont loose out the entire tax gain from 2023 which incidentally I didnt even get a chance to file tax with yet?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Section 179 implications? Car bought in Dec 2023 and being replaced by dealer due to an issue a few days later in Jan 2024-

If it was put into business use in 2023 you're entitled to 179 for 2023 despite what happened in 2024. If there is no cash changing hands in 2024 then I would ignore what happened in 2024 (vin # not reported on 1040 unless this is an EV vehicle). If there is cash changing hands then since like-kind exchanges are not allowed for vehicles there would be a sale for the trade-in value given a a purchase of the new vehicle for its sales price. thus 179 on the 2023 vehicle would be recaptured in 2024 but then you can take 179 on the new vehicle. 

if there is an EV credit then you are entitled to it for 2023 and maybe even again on the replacment vehicle.   

there is no recapture requirement for the credit for a qualified plug-in electric vehicle under § 30D.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies