Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmay2ck

Scholarship stipend

I received $13967 (W2) in summer wages and $26000 (1099-Misc) in a scholarship stipend (for living expenses as we are not allowed to work during the school year if we accept this scholarship program). 1098T says 55282 box 1 "payments received" and $55767 in box 5 (scholarships). According to the 2023 tax charts, making between 39950 and 40000 would be a tax liability of $4577.  I paid $1319.31 through my summer job, so my liability should be $3258 but Turbo Tax is saying I owe $5557. And smart check review is asking me questions like Principal Business Code, business name, etc. I am a full time student. This is scholarship income, not a personal business. What am I doing wrong? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Scholarship stipend

The 1099-MISC that you entered should be reported as "OTHER INCOME" not self-employment income or business income.  To fix your issue, first delete the 1099-MISC that you already entered.  Follow the steps below to delete it and enter in the correct area:

1. Launch TurboTax
  2. Select Wages & Income 
  3. Scroll down to Self-employment Income and select Review (If it says Start, skip this)
  4. Select the trash can by 1099-MISC that you entered earlier
  5. Confirm that you want to delete and select Done

Next, you will enter your 1099-MISC as Other Common Income:

1. Scroll down to Other Common Income
  2. Select Start or Revisit 1099-MISC and add 1099-MISC
  3.  Enter your 1099-MISC and select Continue
  4. Enter Stipend for the description and Continue
  5. Select None of these apply on the next screen
  6. Select only this tax year for this 1099-MISC and Continue
  7.  Select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money and Continue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cmay2ck

Scholarship stipend

That's exactly how I entered it. Still asks all the business questions upon review.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Scholarship stipend

Delete the 1099-Misc and re-enter.  If you entered it EXACTLY as the other reply said, it will not be treated as business income. It will be entered on line 8z of schedule 1, as other income on a 1099-Misc.

There is an alternate way to enter "stipend" income.  Do not enter at the 1099-MISC screen. After entering your 1098-T, you will be asked if you had any scholarships in addition to box 5. Answer yes and enter the $26K there. It goes on line 8r of Schedule 1.

cmay2ck

Scholarship stipend

I did do it EXACTLY as stated above, except I had many other questions asked that are not listed.  I'll try your second option. Thanks for the response.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies