Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sales Tax Deduction - Home Renovation

Using the IRS Sales Tax Deduction Calculator (https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/use-the-sales-tax-deduction-calculator) users are asked if they purchased (or started a long term lease) for big ticket items like Motor Vehicles, Boats, Aircrafts, a Home, or a Home Renovation. I've searched everywhere and cannot seem to find an answer to what constitutes a home renovation? I understand that the following conditions must apply in order in order to deduct the sales tax on a home renovation:

• You're itemizing
  • You're taking the sales tax deduction, as opposed to the state/local income tax deduction
  • The tax rate is equal to your state and local general sales tax rate
  • You (or your contractor acting as your agent) purchased the building materials and paid the tax

However, I want to know, what constitutes a home renovation? Would major projects like replacing a furnace, a replacing an electrical panel, replacing windows or doors? Or does it need to be more substantial than that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Sales Tax Deduction - Home Renovation

The IRS instructions for Schedule A use the terms "substantial addition" or "major renovation." I have not seen any more detailed definition of those terms. But in my opinion, your examples of replacing various things do not amount to a substantial addition or major renovation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies