Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EischenCJ

Sale of partnership interest in company that owns investment property

I am part of an S-Corp that purchased an investment property that was deeded to 4 members individually, with a mortgage deed for same 4 members. It was assumed this was an asset of the company but is now being used to represent partnership interest.

Two of the 4 members are being bought out of the company, using their "capital contributions" as the cost of their shares with equal roughly 15k each. The remaining partners want to process this a real estate sale to remove the names from the deed and mortgage deed at a cost of $15k each. The property was purchased at 205k, so 25% = roughly 51K. 

My question is how to report this on taxes. We will be "selling" at 30k total but our portion of purchase price was  roughly 102k. We are not actually taking a capital loss as the 15k each is exactly what we had invested into the company at this point, but we are also not making any capital gains.

I am trying to understand how this sale of property could cause tax issues - or if it does cause a loss since we are losing interest in a property valued at 205k?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Sale of partnership interest in company that owns investment property

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies