Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Brett23

Sale of home with partial ownership

I purchased a mobile home for my daughter while she attended college.  The mobile home park required it to be "owner occupied" so she was put on the deed as a 50% owner.  We sold it for a good profit after she graduated.  I put a lot of money (and sweat) into improvements, but we still had a net gain. 
Since she lived in it, she gets to avoid paying taxes on her gains.  If we were 50% owners, can I deduct the expenses for upgrades alone to lower my 50% of the capital gains?   I'm guessing I cannot deduct any of my labor?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Since you paid for the cost of the improvements, you can add that cost to your 50% of the basis of the property.  This will help to reduce your gain from selling your 50%.  

Your guess is correct, you cannot include any cost for the labor that you put into the improvements.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Brett23

Just to clarify, can I deduct from MY half of the gain?
Example: If the cost was $20, and we sold it for $100.  There was a gain of $80.  If we split that gain evenly, we each made $40.    But if I paid $30 for improvements, our shared gain would only be $50 and I would still owe $25 in capital gains taxes. 
Is it OK, to have our shared gain be the $80, which is $40 each and then I subtract the $30 in improvements I paid for so that her gain remains $40 and my gain is reduced to $10?  She is exempt because she lived there.  I'm not, but I paid for the improvements.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

That's the general idea.  The math is a little different, but the result is the same.

Using your numbers, here is what your portion would look like:

Your share of the cost (original basis of the property)  = $10

Add the cost of improvements that you paid, $30 for improvements + $10 for your share of the cost = $40.  This is your adjusted basis in your share of the property.  

Property sold for $100, your share is $50.  

Your gain is your share of the proceeds minus your adjusted cost basis, or $50 - $40 = $10.

@Brett23 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies