Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale and FMV

I purchased a semi truck a couple of years ago for 150k.  I sold it for 105k but already took most of the depreciation on it (90k).   The FMV of the truck is $150k.  Do I end up claiming a gain on the sale? Is there a way to adjust for the FMV?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Sale and FMV

The gain on the sale of the truck would be calculated by subtracting the depreciation from the cost to arrive at the cost basis. Then you would take the sale price minus the basis to arrive at the gain or loss on sale.  So, it appears you have a gain on the sale. The fair market value would not factor into the gain on sale.

The portion of the gain up to the depreciation taken would be taxed at ordinary federal tax rates. The rest of the gain would be taxed at capital gains rates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sale and FMV

Thank you!

Sale and FMV

you have 60K of remaining basis (150K of cost less 90k of depreciation), FMV is not used unless possibly a sale to a related party.  So, generally, the actual sales price of 105 will be used. Thus you have a gain of 45K (105K-60K). Since the depreciation allowed exceeds the gain the entire 45k will be taxed as section 1245 depreciation recapture taxed as ordinary income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies