turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Royalties or Business

Hello,

I have rental properties from out of state and have hired a management company to take care of this for me.  There are total of 3 units.  The management property sends me a 1099-MISC that contains the income at the end of the year.  These properties are owned by 2 different LLC.  2 unit in 1 LLC, and the other unit in another LLC.  Both LLC are single member (myself and my wife)

i have been using turbotax for 3 years now (Home and Business version) and i have been entering it in the Rental and Royalties section. 

Question 1) I want to clarify, if i am suppose to enter these rentals in teh rental royalties section, or am i suppose to enter it as business income? I have been entering it in as rental royalties and not business income becuase that screen looks like its for people who really own a business and not just LLC with rental properties.

Question 2) i noticed that for the aggregated LLC that has 2 rental units - at the end of entering these income/expenses in teh royalties section - it shows me that i qualified for QBI Deduction.  However it doesnt show me any QBI Deduction for the other LLC that has 1 unit.  WHy is that? How do i also take a QBI Deduction for this single unit in the LLC?

Thanks,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Royalties or Business

about the only time rental real estate is entered on schedule C is when you provide significant services to your tenants (like a B&B)  who rent for the short term generally 7 days or less.  this doesn't mean other rentals can't be a business for purposes of the QBI deduction. 

1. The rental activity qualifies as a Section 162 trade or business (the short-tern significant services route - such income is subject to self-employment tax)
  2. The rental activity rents to specific related parties
  3. The rental activity satisfies the requirements of the proposed safe harbor

Rental properties are typically treated as passive activities, which are excluded from the definition of a qualified trade or business. However, the safe harbor provision mentioned above allows certain interests in rental real estate to be treated as a trade or business for QBI purposes.

To meet the safe harbor requirements, your rental real estate enterprise must meet the following criteria:

• Separate books and records must be maintained for each rental real estate enterprise
  • At least 250 hours of rental services must be performed each tax year
  • Contemporaneous records, including time reports and logs, should be maintained to document the hours spent on rental services

Remember, the safe harbor rule applies to both residential and commercial properties but doesn’t extend to residences used by the taxpayer as a personal residence during the tax year. Additionally, real property rented under a triple net lease does not qualify for the safe harbor.

an LLC is a disregarded entity so each property is separate and should be reported as such on Schedule E.

for QBI purposes unless you aggregate all 3 units each property must meet the above tests -that's 250 hours each for a total of 750 hours. 

you can aggregate them all.  then they are treated as 1 enterprise that has to meet the above rules so only 250 hours is required.

it's an all or none situation for similar type rentals.  all residential rentals would be aggregated  as 1 enterprise and all commercial rentals would be aggregated as 1 rental enterprise. but you can not aggregate commercial and residential. as 1 enterprise.  

Royalties or Business

Hello.  

thanks for the clarification.  I don’t think I answered about the 250hrs question in TurboTax.  But I didn’t choose an aggregate for the 2 unit LLC as I thought since both unit belongs to 1 LLC and therefore I chose the same LLC and I believe that’s how it formed an aggregation. 

are you saying it should not be an aggregation unless I worked 250 hours on the unit itself ?

in turbo tax I also got this real estate professional question if I worked 750 hours or more. Which I chose no as an answer. The 250 hours that you mentioned above - is it the same thing or is it just a coincidence that TurboTax summed up 3 units with 250hrs each ? 

On the safe harboring , are you saying there is a QBI deduction on the 2 unit LLC because it’s under safe harboring or because of aggregation?

What is the definition of aggregation? Is it simply by LLC? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies