Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Regqueen

Roth or Traditional IRA

I retired last year at 55. I have savings in a taxable investment account that I will live on until I am 59 1/2, when I will begin accessing my IRA. I do have some earnings this year from part time gigs, which will be low and will be in the 12% tax bracket. I want to maximize the income in this bracket (but remain in it) by converting as much as possible (without going over) from my traditional IRA to my Roth IRA, and I think I can figure out how much that should be. But what I am wondering about is should I made a contribution to my Roth, or to a traditional IRA? It seems to me that any tax benefit I receive from a contributing to a traditional IRA would be offset by the amount of taxes  I'll be paying on the conversion to my Roth? Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Roth or Traditional IRA

It's not clear from your question whether you unsure if you should make any IRA contribution at all or if you intend to make an IRA contribution but are unsure of which type of IRA should receive the contribution.  The benefit of making the IRA contribution for the current year is that it's an opportunity to ultimately get more money into a Roth IRA where it can grow nontaxably.  Failing to make the IRA contribution for the current year would be an opportunity lost.  Assuming that you are eligible to contribute directly to a Roth IRA (your modified AGI is not too high to do so) and you have no basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions, there is no real difference between contributing to a traditional IRA along with converting an equal amount to Roth in the same year and just contributing to a Roth IRA directly and not converting that amount.  The current-year tax liability would be the same.  Since you intend to convert other amounts anyway, it makes no difference at all, you'll just adjust the other amounts converted accordingly.

With Roth conversions, you'll generally want decline tax withholding on the conversion transaction and pay the tax with non-retirement funds, so as to maximize the amount that can be converted to Roth.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies