Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tsfo
Returning Member

Roth IRA Excess Contribution Penalty

Hello,

I need to pay the 6% penalty on a Roth IRA contribution. How do I do that in TT? It's very confusing where to go and what to input.

• Contributed 7,000 to Roth IRA in 2021 (contributed in April 2022)
  • I have been unemployed since Jan 2021 
  • I thought I could contribute to a Roth because I do have Deferred Income, Interest and Dividends. However, I was wrong. 
  • My broker is processing the removal of the 7,000 excess contribution. There were no earnings.  
  • I understand I need to pay the 6% penalty for 2021 and 2022

Please walk me through where I can pay the penalty in TT.

Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you reported the ROTH IRA contribution on your tax return in 2021, and it was an excess contribution, there should have been a penalty applied based on the information you entered on your tax return. If not, then you'll have to amend that return to reflect the contribution so the penalty will be assessed. You will see an option to amend your 2021 tax return on your home page screen in TurboTax.

For 2022, you need to go through the IRA contribution entries and indicate that you had an excess contribution in 2021 that has not been corrected. You find that in the Deductions and Credits screen , then Retirement and Investments, then Traditional and Roth IRA contributions. You will see a screen that says Do You Have any Excess Contributions, to which you answer "yes" and you can enter your excess contributions from 2021.

You will get a Form 1099-R in 2024 which will represent tax year 2023 with code P in box 7 . If it is coded properly when you enter it in TurboTax the distribution will not show as taxable in 2023, since you didn't have any earnings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tsfo
Returning Member

Thank you ThomasM125

With regards to the 2022, I made the edit per your suggestion. However, no penalty was assessed. Moreover, TT says is asking, "Indicate how much of your remaining excess contribution of $7,000 you want to credit toward your 2022 Roth IRA contributions."  I put zero. But TT says this is an error and I get this message, "IRA Contributions Worksheet Line 26 - Taxpayer's excess Roth IRA contribution credit should be equal to $7,000, the Roth IRA contribution credit from Form 5329, Part IV."  It asks me to enter 7,000 for Line 26.  And that shows up on my Deductions and Credits this year as 7,000 which is incorrect. 

What can I do? 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would get that message if you were allowed to do an IRA contribution of $7,000 in 2022. If you had excess contributions from 2021 you get a credit for them in 2022 up to the amount of your allowed contribution in 2022. So, it appears there is at least $7,000 of earned income on your 2022 tax return. If you look on your form 1040, page one, can you clarify what line numbers have $7,000 or more of income listed on them? 

You can view your form 1040 and schedules 1 to 3 while working in the online version of TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left menu bar
  2. Click on Tools
  3. Look under Other Helpful links….
  4. Choose View Tax Summary
  5. Look in the left menu bar and choose Preview my 1040
  6. Scroll down the page to see form 1040 and schedules 1 to 3
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tsfo
Returning Member

This is the same problem I have with the 2021 filing I think. TT thinks my deferred comp is earned income.  Here's what I see:

1a. 67,047

1z. 67,047

2b. 11,116

3b. 11,871

5a. 23,617 (rollover - moved from 401K to Trad IRA)

When I entered in my deferred comp - I scanned the doc so the system picked it up. Box 14 on my W2 is noted as "67,047 DCP".  I don't know how else I could or should have entered it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies