Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retirement Distribution Then Contribution to reduce tax

Hi, 

I took a distribution from my Rollover IRA in 2023. Although taxes were taken out of my distribution, I still owe around $2500 due to my  normal income. Can I contribute money to my IRA so that I don't owe the IRS that much money? I am 66, fyi. 

Thanks for any advice!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RachelW33
Expert Alumni

Possibly.  Whether or not you can make a Deductible Traditional IRA Contribution depends on your Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) and whether or not you are "covered" by an Employer-Sponsored Retirement Plan (Retirement Plan Box Checked on Line 13 of your Form W2).  In addition, your return must include "earned" income such as wages or profits from operating your business.  For more details, please see IRS Topic 451, IRAs.

If you are unmarried and you are not covered by an Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan, you can make a Deductible Traditional IRA Contribution no matter what your MAGI.

If you are Married Filing Joint and you are not covered by an Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan but your spouse is, your ability to make a Deductible Traditional IRA contribution phases out when your joint MAGI is between $218,000 - $228,000.

If you are covered by an Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan, your ability to make a Deductible Traditional IRA contribution phases out when your MAGI hits certain levels based on your filing status: 

• Married Filing Joint or Qualified Widow: Phases out between $116,000 - $136,000.
  • Single or Head of Household: Phases out between $73,000 - $83,000.
  • Married Filing Separate: Phases out between $0 - $10,000 (Married individuals who live apart at all times during the year are treated as Single).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RachelW33
Expert Alumni

Possibly.  Whether or not you can make a Deductible Traditional IRA Contribution depends on your Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) and whether or not you are "covered" by an Employer-Sponsored Retirement Plan (Retirement Plan Box Checked on Line 13 of your Form W2).  In addition, your return must include "earned" income such as wages or profits from operating your business.  For more details, please see IRS Topic 451, IRAs.

If you are unmarried and you are not covered by an Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan, you can make a Deductible Traditional IRA Contribution no matter what your MAGI.

If you are Married Filing Joint and you are not covered by an Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan but your spouse is, your ability to make a Deductible Traditional IRA contribution phases out when your joint MAGI is between $218,000 - $228,000.

If you are covered by an Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan, your ability to make a Deductible Traditional IRA contribution phases out when your MAGI hits certain levels based on your filing status: 

• Married Filing Joint or Qualified Widow: Phases out between $116,000 - $136,000.
  • Single or Head of Household: Phases out between $73,000 - $83,000.
  • Married Filing Separate: Phases out between $0 - $10,000 (Married individuals who live apart at all times during the year are treated as Single).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Rachel, perfectly explained. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies