Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

YaMu
Level 2

Restrictive Stocks Taxes not sold the same year as Released

I work for a company where I receive Restrictive Stocks (RS) in etrade brokerage account.
It is vested 1/3rd per year after initial year.
When some stock are vested, I see only about 65% of the amount of the stock as sellable.
When I look at the Plan release Confirmation document, I see that all the taxes and Medicare, SS taxes calculated. The tax Payment Method is Withhold Shares.
My questions are:
Are the taxes calculated and withheld at the time of the release?
It seems that these taxes show up on the next paystub, so they are included on W2.
I got these shared released on 6/1/2022, and I did not sell them that year, but in July of 2023.
If the value of the shares doubled since the release last year, should I expect more taxes this year or is it covered by taxes in 2022?
What if the value of shares drops and I sell them then, do I get tax deduction in that year?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Restrictive Stocks Taxes not sold the same year as Released

@YaMu until the shares vest, there is no tax consequence.

When they vest, there are WITHHOLDINGS in your W-2.  That is not tax; tax is only calculated on a tax return and then the withholdigns are applied to determine if you owe more or get a refund. 

When the shares vest, you pay ordinary income tax, just as if it were salary and wages.

however, when you sell the shares, that is subject to capitgal gains tax.  

Let's use an example, 

Let's say you had 1200 restricted shares given to you that vest 1/3 each year. 

The first 1/3 (400 shares) vested on 6/1/22 when the stock was selling for $30 per share.  That means there is $12,000 of ordinary income dumped into your paystub (and W-2).  Federal and State tax withholdings plus medicare and Social Security taxes are withheld.  Imprortantly, that creates a cost basis of $30 per share of the shares that are given to you. Let's assume that you only receive 225 shares of the 300 as the other 75 were sold to pay the taxes and withholdings. 

Now, in JUne 2023, you decide to sell the 225 shares.  The stock price is now $60.  Your proceeds are $13,500 ($60 times 225)  and the cost basis  is $6750 (225*$30 per share).  So you have a capital gain of $6750 ($13,500 - $6750) and will pay capital gains tax on the profit. 

Let's say the stock tanked to $10 and you sold.  The processed are $2250 and the cost basis is still $6750.  THat loss of $4500 can be a) netted against other capital gains you have, b) the first $3,000 can be used to reduce your ordinary income or c) the remainder can be deferred and used in the same manner as a) and b) next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies