Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

mdipierro
Returning Member

Residential Energy Credit

The number is being pulled through and is correct.  The problem is that the final number is showing as a refund, as opposed to a credit.  We actually didn’t pay anything, so we want to roll the credit to next year.  However, TT is showing it as a refund and says:

“Your federal amended (we had to back and do an amendment) tax return shows you are due a refund of $XX.  The IRS estimates it will take up to 16 weeks to process your amended tax return. Your refund will be mailed to you.”

Don’t get me wrong, I would prefer it to be a refund, but by definition it is a credit.  Maybe this is just how TurboTax labels it, but if so, it is incredibly misleading.  Any thoughts?  And by the way, thank you for your help with this!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Residential Energy Credit

I am not sure that I understand the problem. It's true that there is a difference between a refundable and a non-refundable credit, but even a non-refundable credit can give rise to a refund.

Suppose you had $1,000 in taxes assessed, and you had $1,200 in withholding. Your initial refund would be $200, right?

Now suppose you amended this return to claim a $250 non-refundable credit. The amended return would show a $250 refund, because you still had withheld taxes that you now no longer needed to apply to your assessed tax because of the new credit.

So, non-refundable credit, but can still get you a refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies