Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

redmoose
Returning Member

Reporting a loss on sale of primary residence but capital loss shows zero

Hello,

Last year I sold a house that I owned since 2013 and used as a primary residence for 5 years. While waiting for real estate market to recover in this area house was either empty or partially rented out. Unfortunately, after several years there was no recovery in sight and I decided to sell the property.

Purchase price in 2013 was $936k, this is what I entered in adjusted cost base. Sale price last year was $752k, I have entered $725k as proceeds of disposition, taking into account realtor and lawyer fees associated with the sale.

However, TurboTax Online shows Federal Capital Gain/Loss as $0. Can someone explain what I did wrong here?

This is the first year I'm using TurboTax online version and I have to say I'm so disappointed at the limited functionality this has. 

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Sorry, but the loss on the sale of your personal residence is not deductible. 

redmoose
Returning Member

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

I think I need to elaborate a bit more on this property. In 2017 it was converted to a rental and at this time assessed value was still above purchase price, property assessment at this time was actually over $1mill but there was not a single house on the block that was selling close to assessed value. 

I have filled out the section where it asks how many years was it used as primary residence and how many years it was owned. Owned for 11 years, 5 of which as primary residence.

Does this still not qualify as a capital loss?

Thanks

In general, if you sold your home at a loss, you can’t deduct this loss, but you don’t need to pay any tax on the money you received from selling your home. See Pub 523 Selling Your Home.

@redmoose wrote:

Does this still not qualify as a capital loss?

Are you sure you even have a capital loss?

You mentioned $936k as your "adjusted cost basis" and that you converted the property to rental use sometime in 2017. Thus, did you factor in depreciation deductions (2017-2023)?

The accumulated depreciation will reduce your basis (which would be your actual adjusted basis for the purposes of the sale)?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies