Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rental property moved from Schedule C to Schedule E

I started an LLC for a rental property I bought and built in 2016. I have had it rented since. I have always filed my business under Schedule C and just recently was made aware that I should have filed it on Schedule E. For 2023 I deleted my business under schedule C and added it under rentals which is Schedule E. I added everything from 2022's report of assets. Unfortunately I got an error of "the total of Section 179 carryover shown here does not match the sum of Section 179 carryovers on each individual activity."  I reviewed my entries and the assets (appliances) were entered as "E1 office furniture" but when i entered them now I put them in as "F rental furnishings". The E1 on previous years gave a life as 7 ys. I now see it says its only 5 ys and its now 6 yrs. Anyway I don't have a clue how to fix the problem. any help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

rental property moved from Schedule C to Schedule E

The 7 year property should be entered as follows below. It's important to stick with the same depreciation method for your assets. The IRS does not allow a change unless you are making a correction or requesting a change in accounting method.

You can use the following steps to correct the depreciation for seven year property.

1. Open your TurboTax Return > Search (upper right) > Type rentals > Click the Jump to... link >  Select the rental to edit
  2. Scroll to Select Assets > on Describe this asset select General Purpose tools, machinery, and equipment > Continue to enter the asset information
  3. On 'Tell us more about this Rental Asset' select 'I purchased this asset' > Select 'Yes, I've always used this item 100% of the time for business > Enter date you started using it
  4. Continue  to MACRS Convention >  Select the half-year (unless most of your assets that year were purchased in the last quarter of the year)
  5. Continue to see your accumulated prior depreciation > Continue to see the current year depreciation
  6. Check the box to Show Details - You will see 7 year property depreciation calculated. (See example below)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies