turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hawkpilot
Returning Member

REMOVE IRA CONTRIBUTION WITHOUT FILING EXTENSION

Contributed excess to Roth IRA for 2022. I have not filed my (Married Jointly) 2023 Form1040. Due to a refund calculated on TT Premium, I did not file a 4868. Can I remove a partial amount of my 2023 Roth Ira contribution before October 15 in order to carry forward excess from 2022 to 2023?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If you did not file your 2023 tax return or request a filing extension by April 15, 2024, the deadline to remove any of your 2023 Roth IRA contribution was April 15, 2024.  Because that deadline has passed, your 2022 excess is again subject to penalty on your 2023 tax return.

To avoid the possibility of not being able to apply the 2022 excess as part of a 2024 Roth IRA contribution, you can simply obtain a regular distribution in 2024 of an amount equal to the excess with no adjustment for investment gain or loss.  Once you know for certain your Roth IRA contribution limit for 2024, you can then make your 2024 Roth IRA contribution.  However, if you are certain that you'll be able to apply the excess as part of your 2024 Roth IRA contribution, you can just leave the excess in and do that.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I'll page @dmertz. Check back later.

dmertz
Level 15

If you did not file your 2023 tax return or request a filing extension by April 15, 2024, the deadline to remove any of your 2023 Roth IRA contribution was April 15, 2024.  Because that deadline has passed, your 2022 excess is again subject to penalty on your 2023 tax return.

To avoid the possibility of not being able to apply the 2022 excess as part of a 2024 Roth IRA contribution, you can simply obtain a regular distribution in 2024 of an amount equal to the excess with no adjustment for investment gain or loss.  Once you know for certain your Roth IRA contribution limit for 2024, you can then make your 2024 Roth IRA contribution.  However, if you are certain that you'll be able to apply the excess as part of your 2024 Roth IRA contribution, you can just leave the excess in and do that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies