Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Relocation Q4 2022

I relocated States November 2022, company sponsored.  All expenses and income were reported on my W2 and 2022 tax return.  I got my W2 this week and there are 2 adjustments in Q1 2023 for relocation inflating my 2023 income.  Can companies do this and how do I report it in 2023 when I didn't relocate and have no expenses?  I was expecting my income to come down significantly in 2023, i never saw this sooner as my payments received to my bank matched my payroll expected!   #confused

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Relocation Q4 2022

You didn't say what the adjustments were for, but assuming the employer did pay for some type of moving-related expense in 2023, they are REQUIRED to add it to your W-2.  If you are unsure what they paid, then ask your employer for details.

You mentioned expenses, but for most situations moving expenses are no longer deductible on the Federal tax return.  So any employer paid moving expenses would be fully taxable regardless if you had expenses or not.

You just report your W-2.   There is no need to mention moving, either for 2022 or 2023 (unless your State allows a deduction for moving expenses).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies