Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bhergn
Returning Member

Rejected Wisconsin State Tax Return - earned income credit issue

My state(WI) tax was rejected with code F1-230 and it has to do with EIC. Error code stated reason: 'Schedule EIC-A must be completed for each child claimed for the earned income credit.' I didn't received much on my federal so maybe I didn't received anything on the state side. I didn't see this form when I printed my state tax neither. How can I fix this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I prepared a Wisconsin state income tax return with one dependent.  The taxpayer qualified for Federal and Wisconsin Earned Income Tax Credit.  

Information on the qualifying child flowed from the Federal tax return to the Wisconsin EIC-A Earned Income Credit.

Make sure that you review the entries in the Federal tax return for the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit.  Then review the Wisconsin tax return to make sure:

• That Wisconsin form EIC-A is included in the tax return, and
  • That the Wisconsin Earned Income Tax Credit is reported on line 29 of the Wisconsin Form 1 tax return.

Qualifications for the Wisconsin Earned Income Tax Credit may be found here.

@bhergn 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bhergn
Returning Member

Looks to me the EIC-A form was not included and that's the problem. Line 9 of Form 1 is filled with $1. No EIC-A found and that's why I'm being rejected I assumed. I don't know how to get that fix.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

What is the amount of the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit on line 27 of the 1040 tax return?  How many qualifying children did you report on the Federal 1040 tax return?  If there are qualifying children, are all the children listed on IRS form EIC in your Federal tax return?

Did only the Wisconsin tax return reject?  Or did the Federal tax return reject as well?

@bhergn

bhergn
Returning Member

Amount was only $11on 1040. Yes, I have two qualifying children listed on Schedule EIC. Only state was rejected.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Now it makes sense. $11Fed x 4% WI credit is 44 cents which rounds down to zero so you do not have WI EIC but the program is doing the math and knows you have federal EIC. You will need to delete everything EIC related on your WI return. If you are using:

• Online: see How do I view and delete forms in TTO?
  •  Desktop: If you are working in the cd/download TurboTax program:
    1. On the top right, there is a FORMS button. 
    2. Click on FORMS.
    3. Locate the form you want to delete.
    4. Click on the form name.
    5. Below the form, bottom left, select DELETE FORM button. For a mac, click the delete button on your keyboard.

If that does not solve the problem, the next step is to save a copy of your original federal return. You can do .pdf and/or .txf (transfer file to computer). Then you can open your return and remove the EIC from the federal return so there is nothing to flow to WI.

bhergn
Returning Member

Actually it's 11% for two qualify children so that amount to $1.21 which rounded down to $1 which was on the Wisconsin Form 1 line 29, just no EIC-A form attached for e-filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies