Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mhharr

Refinanced 2 mortgages

I refinanced 2 homes last year. Both new loans were with a single institution. Prior loans were one with the same we fe-fi'd with, 1 another. I have 4 1098's but no where to enter that 2 have a zero balance. When I go to "forms" its showing 4 loans for 12 months and I can't change it so I think its only allowing 2 loans per IRS rules. Tried deleting all and re-entering and after each one it shows I've meet $10,000 cap, which isn't true. tax refund went down $2300. Using Deluxe

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Refinanced 2 mortgages

If this is a new loan and the Lender left box 2 blank, enter the amount of the loan on the first day in 2019 when you acquired it.

The IRS has changed the 1098 this year and looks like it might change again for 2020.

For tax year 2019, Box 2 reports the loan balance as of 01-01-2019 HOWEVER if this is a new loan, enter the beginning balance of the loan.

According to the IRS:

"Enter the amount of outstanding principal on the mortgage as of January 1, 2019. If you originated the mortgage in 2019, enter the mortgage principal as of the date of origination. If you acquired the mortgage in 2019, enter the outstanding mortgage principal as of the date of acquisition.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies