Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gktgkt

I have a home loan through a private lender (family member) and do not receive a 1098 form for this. How do I enter this in TurboTax?

I know my principal and interest amounts for the last year, but don't know how to enter this or if I can leave some info blank since it doesn't really apply in my situation. Help!!

Update: There was a lien filed and recorded at the county clerk's office.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I have a home loan through a private lender (family member) and do not receive a 1098 form for this. How do I enter this in TurboTax?

It's only deductible if the loan is secured by a mortgage lien that was filed and recorded at the county clerk's office and is written in such a way that your relative could foreclose if you stopped making payments.

If that is the case, I believe there is a check box at the very beginning for "I did not receive a 1098 for this loan."

JulieR
Expert Alumni

You will report the mortgage interest from this "seller-financed" loan under "Deductions & Credits" section of your personal information/"Your Home"/"Mortgage Interest Refinancing, and Insurance". After clicking "Start" follow the program prompts to enter the information (lender's name). On the next page, choose "This is a sell-financed loan and I did not receive a 1098" (see attached screenshot).  The program will ask for the lender's address and social security number, which you'll need in order to complete this entry.

Please comment if you need additional help with this. 

DK1717

What should you do if the loan is from a family member that is NOT the seller of the home?  I don't see a place to enter this.  Thank you.

Then simply type in the name of the family member that is issuing to you the loan like this;

Deductions & Credits

then hit Mortgage Interest & Refinancing- Edit

this will take you to the next page which asks you for the Lender name

that's where you enter it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DK1717

Thanks, but it still only gives me the options of a 1098 or a "Seller Financed" loan.  I don't see an option for a non-1098 from a non seller as in my case.  This is totally acceptable to deduct as it is recorded, etc., but I don't see that option on turbo tax.

Just select None of the Above as shown below

Hit Deductions & Credits then continue;

"Lender name" for your mortgage lender, then continue;

"What kind of property do you have" ,then continue;

"Do any of these situations apply" ,simply select "None of the Above?"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TXJen87
Returning Member

I have the exact same issue as the OP--family financed mortgage.  Prommisory note properly securured by MTG/Deed of trust and filed with county office.  I tried the latest suggestion.  If I click none of the above, Turbo Tax assumes a 1098 was submitted to the IRS.  Obviously there won't be one on file for them to reference.  I am going to use an earlier suggestion of seller financed loan and indicate something like private mtg or family on the name line.  This option places the data on the correct line - 8b of Schedule A (no 1098).  I also include the SSN so that the IRS can cross reference between the individual paying the interest and the person receiving it.  Thanks for everyone's help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies