turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used a vehicle for business and traded it in for another business vehicle in June. I'm having trouble figuring out the deductions for both vehicles.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I used a vehicle for business and traded it in for another business vehicle in June. I'm having trouble figuring out the deductions for both vehicles.

You purchased your business vehicle as part of a trade-in then and need to handle the trade-in for the old business vehicle. Just to walk through the interview for this trade-in by following these steps:

For your old business vehicle:

1. Go to the Federal Taxes tab
  2. Go to Wages and Income
  3. Select I'll choose what I work on
  4. Click Update on the line for Business Income and Expenses (Sch C)
  5. Click Edit on the line for your business
  6. Follow the prompts until you come to the page Business Expenses 
  7. Click Start/Update on the line for Cars, trucks, and other vehicle expenses
  8. Click Edit on the line for your old vehicle
  9. Indicate that you own the vehicle
  10. Follow the prompts until you come to the page Are You Still Using Your vehicle for Business and answer No then enter the date you sold it
  11. Follow the prompts until you come to the page Did You Trade in Another Vehicle to Purchase this vehicle?This may be where you have entered that it was purchased as a trade-in. Answer accordingly
  12. Follow through the prompts and you will be guided to a page titled Trade-In Link
  13. Click on the Edit Trade-In button and make sure the vehicle in the list given is highlighted, then click Delete
  14. You will be taken to a Delete Confirmation page and you will answer Yes. This will remove the Form 8824 which is tied to trading in a vehicle
  15. Follow the prompts to indicate that this vehicle was sold, not traded in, and to enter in any relevant information regarding this sale.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
MichaelDC

You purchased your business vehicle as part of a trade-in then and need to handle the trade-in for the old business vehicle. Just to walk through the interview for this trade-in by following these steps:

For your old business vehicle:

1. Go to the Federal Taxes tab
  2. Go to Wages and Income
  3. Select I'll choose what I work on
  4. Click Update on the line for Business Income and Expenses (Sch C)
  5. Click Edit on the line for your business
  6. Follow the prompts until you come to the page Business Expenses 
  7. Click Start/Update on the line for Cars, trucks, and other vehicle expenses
  8. Click Edit on the line for your old vehicle
  9. Indicate that you own the vehicle
  10. Follow the prompts until you come to the page Are You Still Using Your vehicle for Business and answer No then enter the date you sold it
  11. Follow the prompts until you come to the page Did You Trade in Another Vehicle to Purchase this vehicle?This may be where you have entered that it was purchased as a trade-in. Answer accordingly
  12. Follow through the prompts and you will be guided to a page titled Trade-In Link
  13. Click on the Edit Trade-In button and make sure the vehicle in the list given is highlighted, then click Delete
  14. You will be taken to a Delete Confirmation page and you will answer Yes. This will remove the Form 8824 which is tied to trading in a vehicle
  15. Follow the prompts to indicate that this vehicle was sold, not traded in, and to enter in any relevant information regarding this sale.

I don't understand why you would do #15, as it WAS traded in, not SOLD.

This would be helpful if the same prompts came up.  As of step #10, there is no prompt asking if I am still using this vehicle for business.  Instead, I clicked the box "I stopped using this vehicle in 2018 and entered the appropriate date.

From this point, I get through all prompts and it asks get to a screen asking if any of these apply:

"You started using it as a personal vehicle 100% of the time at any point in 2018" [I left blank - does not apply]

"Your percentage of business use of the vehicle varied over the years"  [I left blank - does not apply]

"You gave it away as a gift in 2018"  [I left blank - does not apply]

"None of these" [I selected this option]

I then get to a screen asking for Sales price.  This is where I am stuck.  The trade-in value was $13,000, of which 7,493 was to pay-off the loan.  The remaining "credit" was applied against the purchase of the new vehicle.  No matter how I tweak the numbers, the checker has me running in circles, telling me I need to complete a Schedule C, then some other form of Installment payments, etc.  None of this applies.  I understand with new tax law, I am liable to pay income tax against the "credit" amount, but using TurboTax, I simply cannot get there.  HELP!!!!!!

@MooseKaraoke wrote:

I then get to a screen asking for Sales price.  This is where I am stuck.  The trade-in value was $13,000....

You simply enter $13,000 as your sales price. Effective Jan. 1, 2018, exchanges of personal property such as vehicles do not qualify for nonrecognition of gain or loss as like-kind exchanges.

See https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/like-kind-exchanges-now-limited-to-real-property

The transaction you entered into boils down to your having sold the car for $13,000 (which is your sales price) and the basis of the new vehicle is whatever you actually paid for it (i.e., trade-in value plus any additional cash you paid plus any debt you incurred).

I am having the same problem. Did you ever get a solution to this issue?

Then it starts asking about previous depreciation, etch.

tls83

I ma in the same boat - I traded in my vehicle which was financed. I did not receive any money. The "sales price" of my old vehicle (which was traded in) was the balance of the loan payoff. I did not receive ANY money. I then purchased the new vehicle.

It is asking: SALES PRICE: ___________

EXPENSE OF SALE: _____________   

I have no idea what it is asking me and I have read all the prompts and searched HELP; which didnt answer anything and then I googled help here. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The sales price is the loan payoff and the expenses were expenses incurred during the trade, if any.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Expenses incurred during the trade include the price of the new (replacement) vehicle? Thank you! - Paul

PS: I cannot get to a point where it clearly asks about the cost of the new vehicle? - Paul

ronbone12

Not all the prompts match mine. I'm using Turbo Tax Deluxe. What do put in sale price and expenses for trade in?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The sales price will be the trade-in value/amount allowed towards the purchase of your new vehicle. The expense of sale could be zero since those expenses would likely be part of the expense to purchase of the new vehicle.  They would be added to the cost basis of the new vehicle; such as sales tax, title fees, etc.

The IRS law under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) no longer allow a 'trade-in' to offset the cost of the new vehicle. It requires a sale of the old vehicle and then a new vehicle listed as a new asset for the total cost of the new vehicle.  Since the trade-in value is a taxable sale price, it also becomes part of the cost of the new vehicle.

Your tax basis (cost), for the vehicle you gave up, is the vehicle’s original cost, plus improvements, minus all your annual depreciation deductions. TurboTax will automatically calculate this if it has been an asset listed in your return.  You will indicate it was sold, then TurboTax will ask the necessary questions about the sale.

Dave, I am in the same boat as these other people. However, I was upside down on my trade. I owed $26,000 and the dealer gave me $20,000. So what is the sale price? The price of the new vehicle is that the unpaid cash balance due on delivery (found on the bill of sale from the dealership) minus title fees, etc. There is also listed credit insurance as a non includable cost of the vehicle, what is that? The new vehicle is a truck and I am going to use the section 179. 

Also, what is the amount that I put in Turbo tax for the traded in vehicle in the section Sales Price (for the old vehicle's expenses in the vehicle summary section) . It askes what is the business portion of the sales price. Again do I use the $20,000 and multiply by my usage to get the number or do I use the $26,000 loan amount. I just want to stay consistent with my numbers between the old vehicles and the purchase of the new vehicle.

Thanks for any guidance!

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The vehicle sales price will be the $20,000 given to you as the trade value against the new truck.  If there are costs associated with the trade you will need to decipher what should be part of the new vehicle cost and what are actual selling expenses on the truck traded.  The dealership should be able to help you with those numbers.  

The credit insurance is likely something that makes payments in the event you are unable to make them.  Check with the dealership to know exactly what those fees represent.

Common expenses that are part of the new truck (add these to the cost of the truck-do NOT reduce it for the trade in value):

1. Sales Tax
  2. Transfer fees for title and registration

The loan payoff is not part of the purchase or sale.  When you purchase a business vehicle you use the cost regardless of what is loan debt and when you sell the loan debt is not part of the equation.

I would suggest you select it was sold/disposed of and then enter the date.  Take down all of the prior depreciation for the truck you traded. Indicate that it was not sold, simply removed from service.

1. Add the percentage of business use for each year together for the life of the asset (from first year and every year you used it for business before trading it) . 
  2. Take the total business miles divided by the total miles (all years) for the actual business use percentage.
  3. Multiply that percentage by the original full cost of the vehicle (amount used for depreciation the year you purchased this truck). This is the business portion of the original cost basis for the vehicle. 
  4. Write down the total depreciation expense for all years. including the current year for the portion of the year before the trade and then add them together. This is the total depreciation used on the vehicle. 
  5. Now you are ready to enter the sale of the vehicle under Sale of Business Property (not the business activities).

To record the sale of a business asset (vehicle) outside of the business/asset entry.

1. Sign into your TurboTax account:
    1. Select that you disposed of the asset and answer the questions as though it was disposed of.
    2. Under Wages & Income >Other Business Situations > Sale of Business Property >Start or Revisit > Enter your sale
    3. Select 'Property other than real estate....' 
    4. See the images below for assistance.

Please update the issue if you need further clarification.

@dantheman98

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies