Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I report a bug in the TurboTax online app? For Foreign Tax Credit, when itemized, it saves as a generation skipping tax instead of a Foreign Tax credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Where do I report a bug in the TurboTax online app? For Foreign Tax Credit, when itemized, it saves as a generation skipping tax instead of a Foreign Tax credit.

Can you double-check this by looking at your Schedule A-line 6?

The foreign tax credit should be listed as other taxes on line 6 of your Schedule A.  

Let's also make sure you enter the entry at the correct place.  In TurboTax online, here are the steps:

• Open up your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign tax credit" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign tax credit
  • Follow prompts
  • On-screen, Do You Want the Deduction of the Credit?, select Itemized Deduction
  • Next screen, Foreign Taxes, enter your amount
  • This amount will be carried over to line 6 as other taxes on Schedule A.  You will only benefit it if you itemize.

Please write back if you need further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Lina,

Thank you for the response. Yes, I know how to do it properly. That was not the the question. I had asked how to report a bug. 

That’s said, it is listed as other taxes but it is recorded as a generation skipping tax, not a Foreign Tax Credit. 

I did the process as you has described and itemized it. After that it saved my input, with the correct description and amount, as a generation skipping tax. I deleted the generation skipping tax line and I tried it again. It did the same thing. It’s a bug. So until this is fixed, I can’t file since I cannot edit the actual worksheet or line and I don’t want it to report what type of tax it was incorrectly. 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Please let us know where you entered the foreign tax in TurboTax.  Was it foreign tax on wages or dividends or something else.  Many thanks for your help.  

Hi Karen,

It was in the deductions section as Lina had described and the error on screen is as I had described. That said, I went ahead and completed everything so I could see the Schedule A on the return since it would not allow me to review the return until I had paid for the service and what not. It was correctly written on the Schedule A so I went ahead and filed. The bug is just a small matter on how it is showing online which worries people like me who are not sure but in reality does not affect the return at all. Thank you both for your assistance.

So, in the end, they did not tell where to report a bug.  I just found four 4 bugs in the 1099-B section of TurboTax Premier; one bug is an incorrect screen update, two bugs concern rounding errors, and one bug is about downloads from my broker.  I could report these 4 separate bugs, but apparently the staff is trained to tell you that you don't know what you are doing and it is your error.  So, the bugs will remain unreported.  That is just wrong!

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

You may use this link to report any bugs: Contact Us.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies