Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsalder2

Why is Turbo Tax limiting my charitable donation to a 501 c 3 university to 30% of AGI? I have read IRC Code 170 and reach a different conclusion.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is Turbo Tax limiting my charitable donation to a 501 c 3 university to 30% of AGI? I have read IRC Code 170 and reach a different conclusion.

What was your charitable donation? Was it capital gain? Does the following apply to you?

"A special 30% limit applies to contributions of capital gain property to 50% limit organizations. (For contributions of capital gain property to other organizations, see 20% Limit, later.) However, the special 30% limit doesn't apply when you choose to reduce the fair market value of the property by the amount that would have been long-term capital gain if you had sold the property. "

See IRS  Pub 526, page 14 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What was your charitable donation? Was it capital gain? Does the following apply to you?

"A special 30% limit applies to contributions of capital gain property to 50% limit organizations. (For contributions of capital gain property to other organizations, see 20% Limit, later.) However, the special 30% limit doesn't apply when you choose to reduce the fair market value of the property by the amount that would have been long-term capital gain if you had sold the property. "

See IRS  Pub 526, page 14 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

I am just joining this thread. As a result of a bargin sale,I have a contribution of capital gain property that is subject to the 30% of AGI limitation.  How do I get the allocated FMV into TurboTax as the claimed deduction before the 30% limitation?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

As you go through the charitable donation interview, the program will ask you how much this donation is worth. it will also ask when you purchased it and what the cost basis was at the time of purchase. Remember to enter this in as donated property and not as a cash contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies