turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deb831

What is Oregon Medical Subtraction -Form 40/40P/40N Special Oregon Medical Subtraction Where do these numbers come from - $1400 ? wasn't on my return last year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Cindy0H

What is Oregon Medical Subtraction -Form 40/40P/40N Special Oregon Medical Subtraction Where do these numbers come from - $1400 ? wasn't on my return last year?

Oregon has a special medical subtraction.

• Special Oregon medical subtraction. For tax year 2018, you or your spouse must be age 65 or older on December 31, 2018 to qualify for the subtraction.

Special Oregon medical subtraction [code 351]. If you or your spouse were age 65 or older on December 31, 2018 and have qualifying medical and/or dental expenses, you may qualify for the special Oregon medical subtraction. See the 2018 IRS Publication 502 for types of qualifying medical and dental expenses. You cannot subtract medical and dental expenses:

• For anyone under age 65;

• For dependents, regardless of their age; or

• That have already been deducted on your return.

You may not claim a subtraction if your federal adjusted gross income (AGI) exceeds $200,000 ($100,000 for those who file single or married filing separately). Use the special Oregon medical subtraction worksheet to determine the amount of your subtraction.

can you make claims if medical expenses paid through flexible spending account?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, FSA is pre-tax dollars and do not qualify.

2019 Instructions for Schedules OR-ASC and OR-ASC-NP ... says that expenses must qualify for the federal medical deduction to be claimed.

FSA is  created with pre-tax dollars - subtracted from pay before being taxed, so they can not be used on the federal or Oregon.

@stevec2013

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies