Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

kc4braves1
Returning Member

Can our daughter claim herself and pay less or can we split the scholarships between our tax return and hers to reduce taxes or qualify for college deductions?

My daughter graduated this year and we will be claiming her one last time. We have already used the AOTC 4 times so I know we cannot claim it again.  Is there a way to claim the Life Long Learning credit by moving scholarships to taxable income kind of like we did for the AOTC or...not? I just want to make sure we are getting the most we can this last year. Thanks. Appreciate your knowledge, Hal_Al .

Hal_Al
Level 15

Can our daughter claim herself and pay less or can we split the scholarships between our tax return and hers to reduce taxes or qualify for college deductions?

Q. Is there a way to claim the Life Long Learning credit by moving scholarships to taxable income kind of like we did for the AOTC?

A.  Yes.  You do it exactly the same.

But, it takes $10,000 of qualified expenses to get  the maximum ($2000) Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) instead of the mere $4000 for the AOTC.   The LLC has no refundable portion. So, assuming you have at least a $2000 tax liability the LLC is worth 20%.  Compare that to your student's tax rate on the $10,000 of income.  You'll probably still come out ahead.

kc4braves1
Returning Member

Thanks. She still doesn't have her tax paperwork from the college. I may have more questions when we have it in hand.  I guess we'll have to try it both ways and see which we come out better with overall.  Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies