turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My VA State return will not accept the Child and dependent care expenses. The error says it cannot be larger than the Federal. I don't believe it is. How can we fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

My VA State return will not accept the Child and dependent care expenses. The error says it cannot be larger than the Federal. I don't believe it is. How can we fix this?

First, double-check your Child and Dependent Care expense inputs, on both your federal and state returns.

Virginia’s 2019 Form 760 Resident Individual Income Tax Instructions tell the taxpayer to enter, as Child and Dependent Care Expenses the amount on their state return, the amount “on which the federal credit for child and dependent care is based,” so the amounts must be the same.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, your best bet may be to clear your state return and start it over.  Please see the TurboTax Help article “How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?” or "How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Windows software?" as appropriate for guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having this same issue on my Virginia 2022 return (error 101): it says VA child care expenses cannot be greater than claimed on fed.  Fed was much, much greater (20k+) so I just put 6000 on VA childcare expenses - the max.  Turbotax won't let me file.  Help?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not actually want the actual care care expenses. Your federal return does a lot of processing on those expenses, and it is that processed number that is passed down to Virginia.

So, in your Virginia interview, on the screen with the heading, "Child and Dependent Care", what is the number that TurboTax gives on this sentence: "Your eligible dependent care expenses are NNN for 2022?" Then make sure that the one or two entries that you make lower on the page add up to this sum.

Does this work for you?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies