Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My RSU grant is being taxed during vest. However the income is added to my W2 but the tax paid is not included there. Am I being taxed twice?

I choose to pay cash over selling to cover taxes but I do not see where this cash ends up on my tax repot.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

My RSU grant is being taxed during vest. However the income is added to my W2 but the tax paid is not included there. Am I being taxed twice?

The RSU tax is normally in the W2. If you paid your employer, it should be there. If you chose to write a check to the IRS, then you would add that amount under Other Situations and estimated taxed paid.

If you feel it should be in your W2, contact your human resources department for them to correct your W2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Amy, 

The tax was paid through the broker and not directly through the company (which is why I expect its not included in the W2). Looking at the tax resources through the broker, I do not see anything about this tax but I can go back through the transactions and add up all the tax that has been collected and manually add it, but this seems odd that the broker does not have some supplement. 

Ill ask our HR department to double check if these are in fact marked on the W2.

Thanks for the help! 

Amy - 

The market price of my 100 stocks was $200 per share at the time of GRANT, jan 1 2015

When the stock actually vested the stock price was $50 per share. So before taxes came in I had about 100*$50.

Can I claim a deduction for the loss in expected value from the time of GRANT vs time of vest?

PKaplan

If I wrote checks directly to my company for the tax on RSU's, where do I claim that on my income tax. I see that you say estimated taxes, but is that correct?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

If you made your checks payable to your company with the understanding that your company would remit those proceeds to the IRS, then your company should have included that withholding on your W-2.  You might want to check with your company to confirm that they remitted your check proceeds to the IRS.

Estimated tax payments are one way that taxpayers can send money to the IRS.  Taxpayers who make estimated tax payments, will make their checks payable to the IRS and/or Department of the Treasury, or if they send their money via electronic transfer, will use the Electronic Federal Tax Payments System.  Estimated tax payments can be entered into TurboTax in the section Estimates and Other Taxes Paid which is under Deductions & Credits.  However, taxpayers that enter their estimated tax payments in this section of TurboTax know that their payments were made to the IRS.  It's not clear what your company did with the checks you gave them.  

At this point, perhaps your best option is to confirm with your company what they did with the checks you gave them.  If they say that your check proceeds were sent to the IRS, and those proceeds are included in your withholding on your W-2, then there is nothing more for you to do.   If not, then you need to find out what they did with your check proceeds.  If your check proceeds were sent to the IRS, but that withholding is missing from your W-2, then have your company issue you a corrected W-2 that includes all the withholding. 

@PKaplan 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies