Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage Interest

We relocated and sold our primary house in California on 07/03/2019 (House in California was purchased on 07/2007) this loan was paid off with the sale of the house. The loan amount was 360,000

Then on 08/30/2019 due to work relocation, we purchase a house in Massachusetts, a loan amount of $500,000. For this property in Massachusetts, we have received 2 1098 forms because the loan was sold immediately to another bank with a new mortgage balance of 499,246.00. The original bank 

Question 1. Do I have Have to limit the mortgage interest?

Question 2. Turbo Tax is taking as if I have outstanding loans in the amount of $999,246.00, how do I make turbo tax understand that is the same loan for the same property for the federal and also for the state of massachussets.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Mortgage Interest

question 1: no - it's the AVERAGE balance for the year that has to exceed $750,000 for there to be limitations on the interest. 

you had a 12 month average of approximately

jan: 360

feb:360

Mar: 360

Apr: 360

May:360

June: 360

July: 0

aug: 0

Sept - Dec: 500 each month

so the average is well below $750k

I suspect you answered one of the questions wrong on the 1098. Please go back and review closely. 

you really have 3 1098's right (1 from the old loan and 2 from the new loan).  if you want to reduce the 'head banging, just take the 2 from the new mortgage and consider them as one 1098.  the servicing sale does make it confusing.  it won't change the outcome - all the interest should be deductible, 

Mortgage Interest

Thank you so much

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies