turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kenttessa
Returning Member

Mortgage Interest Deduction

I refinanced my primary home mortgage in 2016 by combining the original primary home mortgage and a rental property primary mortgage.  The primary home mortgage had a lower interest rate because it was our principle residence.  Is this situation covered in mortgage interest deduction worksheet?  Am I allowed to claim the entire interest deduction of my mortgage because the refinance was for the purpose of the primary and secondary (rental) house?     

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

this is tricky 

in effect , you did a cashout refi against your primary residence. 

the rule is that only 'acquisition' debt is deductible against your primary home.  acquisition debt would be the REMAINING mortgage balance you paid to buy the home plus cashout where the money was used to improve your home

So the interest related to the cash out portion of the mortgage is NOT deductible on Schedule A as an itemized deduction,

However, for as long as you own the rental, the interest related to the cash portion of the mortgage is deductible ONLY on schedule E. 

Example:

when I bought my home, I took out a $200,000 mortgage.

years later, when the balance was $150,000, I did a cash out refi of $250,000 and used that extra $100,000 to pay off the mortgage on my rental property.

$150,000 is my acquisition debt

my interest rate is 4%

therefore, the interest I can deduct as an itemized expense on Schedule A  is $6,000 ($150,000 * 4%)

the rest is deductible on Schedule E as part of the rental expense.

Next year the mortgage balance is down to $240,000.  I still can only deduct $6,000 as an itemized expense because the IRS assumes the part that is NOT acquisition debt is paid off first.

Lastly, when the mortgage balance is $200,000, I sell the rental property and pocket the money.  I dot pay down the mortgage with the proceeds.  When I do my taxes, again, the $6,000 of interest is tax deductible, but the interest related to the remaining $50,000 is no longer tax deductible as it was not used to improve my primary residence. 

kenttessa
Returning Member

Thank you...this makes sense.  I was hoping for all the deduction on schedule A though 😉

Thank you for that information! That's exactly what I was looking for. Is there a particular place in the IRS code I can refer to in case of an audit? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies