Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to add my domestic partner to my Kaiser Permanente (employer paid) medical benefits. They said I'll be taxed around $800/month. How might that affect my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I want to add my domestic partner to my Kaiser Permanente (employer paid) medical benefits. They said I'll be taxed around $800/month. How might that affect my return?

It's called imputed income.

Your employer can provide tax-free health insurance to you, your spouse, and your dependents.  Tax-free in this case means that you don't pay income tax on the employer share of the premiums and your share of the premiums is deducted from your check pre-tax.

When employers offer domestic partner benefits and the partner is not a dependent, the health insurance for the partner can't be tax-free.  That means that the employer share of the premium is taxed as if the employer gave you a raise in that amount and used the raise to pay the premiums.  And your share of the partner's premium is deducted after-tax, not before tax.  The employer's share will be included in your W-2 box 1 as taxable wages and you will pay social security, medicare, and state and federal income tax.  You should be seeing higher withholding from your check to cover these taxes, so it shouldn't make too much impact on your refund at the end of the year, but you will see less take home pay due to the withholding.

You can remove the imputed income and the tax consequences if you marry your partner or if your partner qualifies as your dependent.  To be a dependent, the partner must live in your home the entire tax year, you provide more than half their living expenses, and their taxable income is less than $4050.  (You don't get a refund of the tax, but you can stop the imputed income going forward, by getting married or notifying the employer that your partner qualifies as a dependent.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It's called imputed income.

Your employer can provide tax-free health insurance to you, your spouse, and your dependents.  Tax-free in this case means that you don't pay income tax on the employer share of the premiums and your share of the premiums is deducted from your check pre-tax.

When employers offer domestic partner benefits and the partner is not a dependent, the health insurance for the partner can't be tax-free.  That means that the employer share of the premium is taxed as if the employer gave you a raise in that amount and used the raise to pay the premiums.  And your share of the partner's premium is deducted after-tax, not before tax.  The employer's share will be included in your W-2 box 1 as taxable wages and you will pay social security, medicare, and state and federal income tax.  You should be seeing higher withholding from your check to cover these taxes, so it shouldn't make too much impact on your refund at the end of the year, but you will see less take home pay due to the withholding.

You can remove the imputed income and the tax consequences if you marry your partner or if your partner qualifies as your dependent.  To be a dependent, the partner must live in your home the entire tax year, you provide more than half their living expenses, and their taxable income is less than $4050.  (You don't get a refund of the tax, but you can stop the imputed income going forward, by getting married or notifying the employer that your partner qualifies as a dependent.)

Thank you so much. This was very helpful.

If the couple gets married, say in December, can the income calculation for imputed income be "backdated"?  For example, wipe clean the imputed income for that particular year, or is it only going forward from the marriage date?

Only going forward.  Marriage is a qualifying event and you usually have 30 or 60 days to notify your benefits office.  If you miss the window, you won’t be able to change the imputes income until next open enrollment period.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies