turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

famas

If I donated canned goods and new food items to a charity, how do I claim it as a deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

If I donated canned goods and new food items to a charity, how do I claim it as a deductible?

Anything you buy and immediately donate to a charity is treated as a cash donation. You claim the amount  you paid

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can deduct the value of the items you donated as a charitable contribution and if you itemize deductions (instead of taking the standard deduction).  To enter your charity contributions, you have two options:

1. Enter your charitable donations in our free ItsDeductible program which is available year-round. When tax time comes, simply import your donations from ItsDeductible into TurboTax.   OR
  2. Manually enter your charitable donations directly into TurboTax:
    1. Open your return in TurboTax.
    2. In the search box, search for donations and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
    3. Answer Yes to Do you want to enter your donations for 2019?
    4. Follow the instructions to enter your donations.

Since it is already tax time, option 2 is probably the easier option.  

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have donated food several times to the local Food Bank and have receipts from the food bank and from the stores I purchased the food from.  Your program can not handle donations of fresh vegetables, rice, potatoes, etc. when I have the purchase receipts and receipts from the Food Bank.  Why?

I have itemized for years.

Thanks

I will change all entries to cash.  What a bunch of BS to go through to give some people some help, food!

BarbieM

You can enter them under the section that says "Can't find your item".  Add your items and prices paid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies