Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mostaboy
Returning Member

I reported a sale of an inherited property in a foreign country in the Investment Sales section. Now I would like to take a foreign tax credit. How do I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I reported a sale of an inherited property in a foreign country in the Investment Sales section. Now I would like to take a foreign tax credit. How do I do this?

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help topic to enter your foreign tax credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mostaboy
Returning Member

Form 1116 seems to require an  income entry as a 1099-DIV; but, my income was entered in the Investment Sales section. How do I get TT to let me get the foreign tax credit?

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

The Gain on the sale of the inherited property is considered Passive Income for the Foreign Tax Credit.

mostaboy
Returning Member

So, if the capital gain income from the sale of inherited foreign property, is considered “passive income“, can I not take the foreign tax credit on the tax I paid to that foreign country? If I can take it, how do I go about it in TT?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can take the foreign tax credit- see Where do I enter the foreign tax credit (Form 1116 ... and let us know if you have any questions.

@mostaboy

Sorry resurrecting an old thread with a similar situation & that article doesn't really answer the question about tax on property sale.

In "Other Gross Income - country", do I need to put down the Sale price or the Capital Gain (or even bother to do put anything there?)?

In "Any foreign source qualified dividends or long term capital gains", what goes into "Foreign qualified dividends and l.t. capital gains" if I have a capital gain?

Or both should be left blank & I'm misinterpreting the 2 screens?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You need to enter it in only one of those two places.  Since it is the sale of property I would enter it into Long Term Capital Gains and only enter the amount that was a gain on the sale of the property.

@vin_sphinx 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies