Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k_muteki

I live overseas and have a foreign employer. My employer does not have an ID that I can input in the employers ID box on my foreign W2. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

I live overseas and have a foreign employer. My employer does not have an ID that I can input in the employers ID box on my foreign W2. What should I do?

If you did not receive a W-2, you need to enter your foreign wages in the foreign earned income exclusion section of TurboTax. 

1. Enter foreign earned income in the search bar at the top of the screen and click the Jump to link  

2. On the first screen it will ask you what form your foreign income was reported on, you need to check statement from my foreign employer (converted to USD)  

3. On the next screen enter your Foreign wages  

4. Continue through the screens answering the questions  

5. Then you will get the screen,Would you like to Try and Exclude Your Foreign Earned Income,   

6. Enter yes or no  

7. If you enter no, the program will tell you that form 2555 will be deleted, say  ok .  The Form 2555 will be deleted but the program does not delete your foreign wages. 

To enter the foreign tax: 

1. Type in foreign tax credit in the search bar at the top of the screen and click Jump to  

2. You will need to click through a number of screens about dividends and interest.    

3. When you get to the screen, Choose the Income Type, click on General Limitation income.  This is the category for wages.  

4. Continue through all the rest of the screens entering the country and the foreign tax amount.   You enter the foreign tax amount in the box Foreign Taxes on Other Income 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies