Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I Installed solar panels in 2022 and received tax credit. A couple of weeks ago 3 panels were damaged during a hail storm - can I get tax credit for replacement' expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I Installed solar panels in 2022 and received tax credit. A couple of weeks ago 3 panels were damaged during a hail storm - can I get tax credit for replacement' expense?

You can only claim the solar energy credit once. 

That's unclear.  You may want to seek local professional tax advice.

It is clear that repairs are not allowable.  It is also clear that installation of new capacity in a future year is allowable, as that would be a new system, even if it is tied into the old system. 

The law is not specific on end-of-life replacement or damage replacement.  (If the panels are at their designed end of life after 20 years and you replace them; or if you must replace--not repair--damaged panels.)

My opinion (and I am not a paid professional) is that replacing part of your system due to damage would be considered a repair of the system, and not installation of a new system.  Since it is a repair of the system, it is not eligible, even though it would be full replacement of the 3 damaged panels.  Each panel is a component of the overall system, like the inverter--you definitely could not claim a credit if you had to replace a damaged inverter, because it is just one component that repairs the system, so I don't think you can claim it on damaged panels. 

@Bsch4477 wrote:

You can only claim the solar energy credit once. 

As a blanket statement, that is not true.  You can only claim the credit once for each system you install, but there is no barrier in the law to claiming a second credit if you install a second system.  For example, in 2022 you install a system on your house, and in 2023, you install a second system on your detached garage or detached mother-in-law apartment.

However in this specific case, I believe this would be viewed as a repair of the existing system and not installation of a new system, so not eligible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies