Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have two 1098s for a home loan; one was for the original loan, and the other was for a refinancing that original loan. Both have an outstanding mortgage principal box2

in Box 2 on both 1098 (one for the original loan and the second as a refi to the first one -- all originated in 2019), do I report both Box 2 from both lenders?  Turbotax seems to double count that and upon entering the amount in box 2 of my second 1098, my CA tax liability went up
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

I have two 1098s for a home loan; one was for the original loan, and the other was for a refinancing that original loan. Both have an outstanding mortgage principal box2

On the refinanced mortgage Box 2 is asking for the amount of the outstanding balance of the loan as on 01/01/2019.  Since the loan did not start until after that the date the amount in Box 2 for the refinanced mortgage should be $0.  Once you change that information and have it flow to California it will correct your issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did this resolve your issue? I am having the same problem. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please be sure to select "this loan was sold or paid off in 2019" for the first 1098 (the original loan) 

Please enter that 1098 first. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies