turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had moving expenses in 2019 for military PCS (retirement order). I have not yet been reimbursed, but should be. Should I still enter expenses on my 2019 return?

I expect to be reimbursed in 2020, but it has been delayed due to COVID-19, and it will not cover all expenses.  I'm not sure how to enter expenses or reimbursements and for what year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I had moving expenses in 2019 for military PCS (retirement order). I have not yet been reimbursed, but should be. Should I still enter expenses on my 2019 return?

No. do not under any circumstances claim your yet-to-be-reimbursed expenses on your 2019 return. That's because when you "do" get reimbursed, the amount you are reimbursed will "NOT" be included on "ANY" W-2 that you receive.

If you claim the as-of-yet-unreimbursed expenses on your 2019 tax return, then you will be "required" to claim the reimbursed amount as "taxable income" on your 2020 tax return next year. That has the potential to raise your AGI to the next higher tax bracket. So just leave well enough alone.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies