Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes I get the child tax credit and I also filled a 1099. Does me filing the 1099 slow down the process?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

I filed my taxes I get the child tax credit and I also filled a 1099. Does me filing the 1099 slow down the process?

Did you include the 1099 on your original return when you filed? If not, the IRS may notice the income mismatch and delay your refund. If you included the income appropriately on your original return, there should be no delays. There are several variations of a 1099 form, however. If this is a 1099-MISC related to business income, be sure that you included the appropriate schedules when filing.

The child tax credit does not cause any delays to processing. The Additional Child Tax Credit is subject to the PATH Act and may delay refund processing slightly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have filed with a 1099 since 2013.  but last year I messed up on my taxes and accidentally filed my 1099 misc under a w'2.  so I had to amend last years return. what do you mean when you said "the appropriate schedules when filing"? do you think since I messed up last year my return this year is flagged?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Regarding the possibility of an audit or a slowdown on your refund, we unfortunately have no way of knowing if your return will be selected. Below, I've included the methods the IRS uses when they select a return for extra attention:

• Random selection and computer screening - sometimes returns are selected based solely on a statistical formula. We compare your tax return against “norms” for similar returns. We develop these “norms” from audits of a statistically valid random sample of returns, as part of the National Research Program the IRS conducts. The IRS uses this program to update return selection information.
  • Related examinations – we may select your returns when they involve issues or transactions with other taxpayers, such as business partners or investors, whose returns were selected for audit.

Next, an experienced auditor reviews the return. They may accept it; or if the auditor notes something questionable, they will identify the items noted and forward the return for assignment to an examining group.

@matthewsmom2004

so me messing it up last year wouldn't be reason for them to audit my return?  and what did the other lady mean by when she said " the appropriate schedules when filing"?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

No, you making a mistake on your last years return would not be a reason for them to audit you.  

The appropriate schedule you need to use is Schedule C for the income and expenses you have.  TurboTax creates this schedule when you enter your information in Self-Employment Section.

So when I filed my 1099 it automatically went under the schedule c? 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If your 1099 was a 1099-MISC with Nonemployee Compensation in Box 7, it will create a Schedule C on TurboTax UNLESS you answer the follow up questions- this is how the IRS is looking for you to report the income.  

@matthewsmom2004

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies