turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to override Turbotax's calculation for an excess contribution to HSA?

In 2020, I overfunded my HSA with a total contribution of $3949. When I found out my mistake I promptly requested a refund of the excess from my HSA holder. However, because I mistakenly thought the 2020 limit was $3500 (instead of $3550), I asked for (and received) a refund of $449.

The problem is that Turbotax calculates the amount of my refund relative to the correct IRS limit ($3550) -- in other words, $3949 - $3550 = $399.

How do I account for the other $50 in refunded HSA contributions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I like the idea of contributing $50 back, telling TurboTax that you made this $50 personal contribution and telling TurboTax that you'll withdraw the full $449 of excess; I think that that's the only viable solution.  The result is that TurboTax will report the full $3949 on Form 8889 line 9 in agreement with the amount reported with code W in box 12 of the W-2, it will correctly report $399 as taxable on Schedule 1 line 8 and will not report any deductible HSA contribution on Schedule 1 line 12 or any excess contribution on Part VII of Form 5329.

This approach has the added benefit of making your return of contribution be legal.  The tax code only permits actual excess HSA contributions to be returned, so contributing back the $50 makes your code W plus personal contributions be in excess by the amount returned.   When making the contribution, just make sure that you specify that the $50 personal contribution is for 2020.  The only concern I can see with contributing $50 back is that the HSA custodian might balk at seeing an additional contribution for 2020 after having distributed a return of contribution, but that seems unlikely.

(If you don't contribute the $50 back, that $50 distributed (and any gains attributable to that $50 that accompanied the $50 in the distribution) would legally have to be treated as a regular distribution in disagreement with the Code 2 Form 1099-SA that will be reporting the return of contribution, which there is no convenient way to explain to the IRS.)

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Were your contributions by payroll and reported on your W-2, or did you also make contributions out of pocket?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! All contributions were made through payroll and reported on my W-2.

I have two thoughts. If you use the desktop version of TurboTax installed on your own computer from a CD or download, you can override the calculation. However, a tax return with an override can’t be e-filed, and overriding also avoids the accuracy guarantee.

or, contribute $50 back into the account now. You can make a contribution for 2020 as late as April 15, 2021, as long as you tell the bank in advance that is what you are doing.  That would make the calculation correct.

@dmertz  do you have any other ideas?

dmertz
Level 15

I like the idea of contributing $50 back, telling TurboTax that you made this $50 personal contribution and telling TurboTax that you'll withdraw the full $449 of excess; I think that that's the only viable solution.  The result is that TurboTax will report the full $3949 on Form 8889 line 9 in agreement with the amount reported with code W in box 12 of the W-2, it will correctly report $399 as taxable on Schedule 1 line 8 and will not report any deductible HSA contribution on Schedule 1 line 12 or any excess contribution on Part VII of Form 5329.

This approach has the added benefit of making your return of contribution be legal.  The tax code only permits actual excess HSA contributions to be returned, so contributing back the $50 makes your code W plus personal contributions be in excess by the amount returned.   When making the contribution, just make sure that you specify that the $50 personal contribution is for 2020.  The only concern I can see with contributing $50 back is that the HSA custodian might balk at seeing an additional contribution for 2020 after having distributed a return of contribution, but that seems unlikely.

(If you don't contribute the $50 back, that $50 distributed (and any gains attributable to that $50 that accompanied the $50 in the distribution) would legally have to be treated as a regular distribution in disagreement with the Code 2 Form 1099-SA that will be reporting the return of contribution, which there is no convenient way to explain to the IRS.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Opus 17 and dmertz:  Thank you both for your input! Indeed, I think this is my best and only choice. I'll contact my HSA provider about making the $50 contribution for 2020.

RME2
Level 1

Personal contribution.  Not on W-2.  I just entered the wrong number in Turbotax and cannot change it--hitting Edit button does not let me change it.  How do I change it?

@RME2 wrote:

Personal contribution.  Not on W-2.  I just entered the wrong number in Turbotax and cannot change it--hitting Edit button does not let me change it.  How do I change it?

Not sure.  Turbotax online can be funny sometimes.  Finish the HSA interview to get back to the main screen, then log off, then log back in again, go the the main Deductions page, and run the HSA interview again from scratch by selecting "Revisit."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies