Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I deal with Bonus from deceased spouse's employer in year I can't count them on my taxes?

@CindyKR 

We need to go back.  Before we can really answer your questions as to what needs to be fixed on your return (if anything), you will need to tell us what you actually did.  How did you file your husband's income?  Did you include the W-2 as a W-2?  Did you ignore the W-2 and add "miscellaneous income" in the amount of the W-2.  Did you ignore the whole mess?  Please let us know what you actually did on your 2023 return. 

Sorry, you did answer this.

How do I deal with Bonus from deceased spouse's employer in year I can't count them on my taxes?

@CindyKR 

This is what I am reading, and my opinion on next steps.

"However, I already filed my taxes as if I received the income in my name and ssn on the appropriate 1099-MISC. I reported the amount on the W-2 Box 1 as the amount in Box 3 of the 1099-MISC. And, the fed and state taxes that were reported by the employer on the incorrect W-2 for my spouse, I reported on TT as my 1099-MISC taxes in Box 4 and Box 16."

This appears to be correct, and I don't believe you have any need to file an amended 2023 return.

"Payroll will correct [your spouse's] 2023 W-2 to zero earnings and taxes. We will send you a copy of the W2c (correction) once it has been processed."

This should mean that the IRS will not question why the original W-2 was not on your return.

"Once you provide us with a W-9, we will request AP to issue a check for the taxes withheld in 2023. The AP check and 1099-MISC form will be dated 2024."

The 2024 date is correct, because this will represent the date of the repayment of the taxes to you.   The employer should only refund the SS and medicare tax.  They should not refund the federal and state withholding, since that was already paid to the state in your spouse's name, and you already properly included it on your 2023 tax return. 

• If they only refund the SS and Medicare tax, then your saga is over.  This money is not taxable income on your 2024 return even though they issue a 1099.  There will be a way to enter the 1099 on your 2024 return and show that it is not taxable.
  • If they refund the SS and medicare tax and also the federal and state withholding, then the federal and state withholding is taxable income to you in 2024 (the year it was paid to you) because it is a "taxable recovery" -- a reimbursement of a previous amount you claimed as a credit.  I do not believe you file an amended 2023 return, instead, you report the taxable recovery in 2024.  The portion of the refund that includes SS and medicare tax is still not taxable.  And again, there will be a way to enter the 1099-MISC on your 2024 return and indicate that it is only partly taxable.

As I think you pointed out, they should also issue a 1099-MISC to your spouse dated 2023, for the wages.  But it doesn't matter to you if they don't, because you already reported the income and paid tax on it. 

Either way, in my opinion, you are finished with your 2023 return. 

Q1. Should I insist (or clarify) that they send me a 1099-MISC for the 2023 tax year in my name and SSN? What if they refuse?

They are correct that if they refund the taxes to you in 2024, they will issue a 1099-MISC to you in 2024.  It may not be taxable, as I indicated.  They should also issue a 1099-MISC to your spouse in 2023 for the wages, but it does not change your situation if they don't.

And, they want to send me the refund of the Medicare and social security taxes as income to me in 2024.

Q2. Is that the way it should be handled?

Yes,  if they refund the SS and medicare taxes to you, then the saga is over.  They may be required to issue a 1099-MISC to you, because of how the 1099 rules apply to them.  But if it is only a refund of the SS and medicare tax, then it is not taxable to you even if there is a 1099.

I did not get an 1099-MISC in my spouse's name. I got a W-2 for my spouse that should have been a 1099-MISC. So, I reported it on my taxes as if the W-2 was my 1099-MISC like it should have been.

I just got a response from the employer. They are telling me their AP department cannot retroactively send me a 1099-MISC for 2023. Is that true? They are saying they will only send me a corrected W-2, which was not the right form to report this income on. I am sending them yet another email asking how they plan to report those withheld taxes under my name, since they seem to only want to make the W-2 zero for my spouse.

@CindyKR wrote:

I did not get an 1099-MISC in my spouse's name. I got a W-2 for my spouse that should have been a 1099-MISC. So, I reported it on my taxes as if the W-2 was my 1099-MISC like it should have been.

I just got a response from the employer. They are telling me their AP department cannot retroactively send me a 1099-MISC for 2023. Is that true? They are saying they will only send me a corrected W-2, which was not the right form to report this income on. I am sending them yet another email asking how they plan to report those withheld taxes under my name, since they seem to only want to make the W-2 zero for my spouse.

If you read my above answer, this is fine and no problem.

They should cancel the 2023 W-2 to your spouse, and issue a 2023 1099-MISC to your spouse.  It sounds like they will do the first part and not the second part.  Let it go.  You properly reported the income, and whether or not they issue a 1099-MISC for 2023 to your spouse for your spouse's late bonus, will not change your taxes at all.  

If they refund the social security and medicare taxes to you, and the amount is more than $600, they are required to issue a 1099-MISC.  Since the taxes are being refunded to you directly in 2024, they are required to issue the 1099-MISC in your name in 2024.  The IRS requires the payer to issue the 1099 when they make the payment, and then it is up to the recipient to determine if the payment is actually taxable or not.   In your case, a refund of mistakenly withheld social security and medicare taxes will not be taxable to you, even if you get a 1099, and you will deal with the 1099 on your 2024 return. 

Ok. I'll let it all go. Thanks for your explanations. It's all crazy. I thought by this time in my life, taxes would make more sense. But, they just get more and more complicated. Ugh!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies