Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Megan96

Home Office Expenses w/ Roommates

Alrighty so last year I worked from home the whole time I worked for the company and I had a home office. It asks me to add in my rent, utilities, maintenance costs, etc for the whole home in order to determine if there is a deduction for my home office. So I have two questions. Do I enter the amount as an average monthly or as a total for the year? Also, I had 3 roommates for part of the year and had 1 roommate for the latter part of the year. Would I only put in there what I personally paid or the entire cost of everything regardless of who paid it? We split the rent and utilities evenly so my portion was significantly less than the full amount.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

At the end of the year did you receive from "the company" a Form W-2 or a Form 1099-NEC? If you received a W-2 you were an employee and you cannot deduct unreimbursed employee expenses, including home office expenses.

try using the square footage rule for office space deduction.

It is called the simplified method.

@Megan96 

Megan96

@fanfare I used the square footage rule in the square footage section. But it also asks me for the cost of my rent, utilities, etc

Megan96

@Jimi1970 I received a W2 but it is still promoting me to deduct home office expenses.

If you use the simplified method, Part II (rent, utilities etc) would be skipped.

That's the point of it.

perhaps you did not elect the simplified method.

@Megan96 

Megan96

@fanfare it's possible. I'll look into it tomorrow 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies