Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8962 child ages out

My child aged out at 26 during the year and was on my account in the marketplace health insurance for January to October 2020.  She then had to get her own account and policy on the marketplace for November and December 2020.  I know how to fill out my 8962 and allocate on my form but how do we fill out her 8962 when there are 2 marketplace accounts with her allocation being 0% January - October on my account #, and 100% on her own account # (not shared) for November and December?  If we do not show January to October (when on my plan) the IRS will kick it out. Turbotax support did not know the answer. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Form 8962 child ages out

Here is how to enter both onto your return. You can add another 1095-A by following the steps below.

First enter your 1095-A:

1. Go to the search bar in the top right corner

2. Enter "1095-A"

3. Select "Jump to 1095-A"

4. Continue through the questions

5. When asked "Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2020?" answer "Yes"

6. Continue to enter your form

7. After you finish you should come to a screen that reads "That's all we need for your 2020 coverage"

6. Select "+Add Another 1095-A"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8962 child ages out

Thank you for the answer! After I enter her 1095-A information (which covers just the last 2 months) I am assuming I enter my 1095-A information for the first 10 months since she was not covered under my marketplace policy for the last 2 months she was on her own?  If I enter all 12 months for my 1095-A it adds those last two months together on her 8962 so it would not be correctly reconciling. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Form 8962 child ages out

Yes, you would enter the information from your 1095-A for the first 10 months when she was on your policy.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8962 child ages out

Your help is greatly appreciated!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies