Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Early IRA Withdrawal to Pay Medical Expenses

I had to take an early withdrawal from my IRA to pay medical expenses which were greater than 7.5% of my AGI in 2019 but I can't find the correct place to mark that. All it asks for is the information on my withdrawal and taxes paid (none were) . How do I proceed? I don't want to get charged taxes on the entire withdrawal. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

The early withdrawal exception only applies to the 10% early withdrawal penalty.  You will still pay income tax on the entire withdrawal.  

Once you enter the distribution information from your 1099-R form, we'll help you check for any exceptions that could reduce the tax penalty.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

The early withdrawal exception only applies to the 10% early withdrawal penalty.  You will still pay income tax on the entire withdrawal.  

Once you enter the distribution information from your 1099-R form, we'll help you check for any exceptions that could reduce the tax penalty.

Thank you, I mis-worded my question. I meant to ask how do I avoid paying the early withdrawal penalty?  I don't see anywhere to specify what the money was used for. 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

To claim the exception in TurboTax Online, go to:

1. Income & Expenses
  2. IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), Edit/Add
  3. Form 1099-R
  4. Let Us Know a Little More About This Distribution
  5. Is this IRA subject to an early withdrawal penalty?  Answer yes, and continue to answer the interview questions, until you come to
  6. Let's See If We Can Lower Your Tax Bill
  7. Did you use your IRA to pay for any of these expenses?  Here you’ll have the opportunity to enter any medical expenses that the distribution might have been used for.

If you’re unable to get to this last screen, delete and re-input the relevant 1099-R.

Please see Tips and tricks in the TurboTax Help article "How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?" for guidance.

Thank you for your assistance! I had to delete and re-enter my 1099 as I had entered it incorrectly. 

Mako
Returning Member

Your answer cleared up the confusion as to why the withdrawal amount still shows on 4b of the 1040....BUT, why is this not worded properly on the TT screen...they say "save you taxes"  MISLEADING and should be reported!1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies