turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajjiao85

dependent stimulus payments (round 1 and 2)

good morning,

Ive been looking everywhere to see what I can do to get the first 2 payments I am owed ($500 + $600)since my child was born August 2020. However, when I filed through turbotax deluxe, it did not qualify me for the recovery rebate?  I don’t get it??  we meet ALL parameters, but turbotax will not let me file for the recovery rebate?  is there anything I can do instead of filing and amended tax return?  thank you all!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. If you did not get the Recovery Rebate Credit for your child born in August 2020, then you must amend your return.

First, please follow the instructions on the page How do I amend my 2020 return?

Then, please follow the instructions below to get the Recovery Rebate Credit on your return:

1. With your return open, search for stimulus with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  2. Select the Jump to Stimulus in the search results to directly go to correct TurboTax page.
  3. You will come to a page titled Let's double-check the amount you received and it will list the first-round and second-round payments based on your 2020 return.
  4. Answer No for the question, Is this what you received? 
  5. Enter the amounts of the first and second round stimulus payments you received. I have attached a screenshot below for additional guidance. 

Your Recovery Rebate Credit will be the difference between what you were qualified for on your 2020 tax return (with your dependent) less the amount of your first and second stimulus payments you have already received.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You must indicate that the child lived with you the entire year.  This is the correct choice for a newborn no matter when they were born.  You probably also did not get the $2000 child tax credit either if you selected that the child lived with you less than half the year. 

On the other hand, the stimulus payment is based on the number of qualifying dependents you claim and not their identity, so if you claimed an eligible child last year who is not eligible this year (because they turned 17 or because they are being claimed by a different parent due to a divorce or separation) then even though you added a new child, the total number of qualifying persons would be the same and no extra credit would be paid. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies