Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ambp1
Returning Member

Deductible mortgage interest question in turbotax online

I have a home loan balance in 2019 that is greater than $750K.

Hence the below question when filing return prompt me to answer " No" based on the option given "Average loan balance does not exceed $750,000 " but then turbo tax does not show me the option to but a adjust interest which should be the case as per the IRS publication as I can deduct interest only for the amount upto $750K.  . I can get the option to enter adjusted interest only if I answer "Yes" but the way the question is posed my answer to the question should not be Yes

Any pointer...should I answer Yes and then enter the adjusted interest ( which ends up increasing the  tax obligation) or choose "No" and deduct the entire interest ( which ends up reducing the tax obligation ) Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 7.08.41 PM.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

when did you take out the mortgage? 

ambp1
Returning Member

Original Mortgage was 2018 and then refinanced in 2019, in both cases loan balance continued to be greater than $750K

Thanks

Answer "yes" ; you are limited to interest on $750,000 since the mortgage was taken out after 12/15/17

ambp1
Returning Member

Yes thats what I thought ....However, the option as you see states " Average loan balance does not exceed $750,000 "  and  in my case it ' does exceed '  so the answer option " No" is actually the right one.....

I believe the way the question is stated is not correct .. It should have stated " Average loan balance exceed $750,000" then the answer would have been clearly "Yes" 

Hence the confusion and would be great if I could get a clarification 

Thanks

ambp1
Returning Member

Please confirm if my understanding and interpretation of the issue is correct .. I should still go ahead and answer Yes for the question

thanks in advance

answer 'yes'

your expectation should be that the interest is limited, since the average balance exceeds $750,000 

kgold99

Hello I have similar question on this topic.  I refinanced twice in 2019, and either one is over $750,000.   Somehow TT always add them up? and kept saying my average loan balance is over $750000.   Even I selected "no" and hit "continue", TT will automatically change to "yes" option when I go back to check.    Anything I did wrong, or this is a TT bug?    thanks

Delete all the 1098 forms you entered then try that section again ... enter them in the order they were used.  Pay attention to the screen instructions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies